Creating sugar-free chocolate espresso beans can be a little tricky because the melting point of the chocolate can scorch it easily. Covering the beans can also become complicated if you don’t want to take a lot of time individually covering and placing each bean on a parchment sheet. This easy Trim Healthy Mama and Keto-friendly recipe solve that dilemma!
Chocolate espresso beans bites are a fun and easy dessert that can hit the spot any time of the day!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full affiliate disclosure here.
Sugar Free Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
I need to be honest. This is one of those recipes that failed more times than I care to admit before it succeeded! Working with sugar-free chocolate items can really be a rough ride! But since I failed so many times, hopefully, that means that you get to benefit from my mistakes. Now, these chocolate espresso beans are ready to be made by you!
If you want to make these or any type of chocolate-covered espresso beans, here are some friendly tips.
- Use espresso beans, not coffee beans. Coffee beans are much more bitter and you will end up each what I consider chocolate covered charcole.
- If you choose to microwave your chocolate, do so at 15 second increments. Any longer and you will most likely scortch your chocolate.
- Consider making chocolate covered squares instead of individual chocolate covered beans. The truth is that working with sugar free chocolate, is just tricky enough, that this is worth it in the end.
- Very slowly add your flavoring and mix very well in between.
- If you plan to drizzle a top layer of chocolate, add just a wee bit of coconut oil to make the drizzle go on smoother.
- If you use a brand-new silicon mat to spread your mixture on, don’t use your brand-new knives to cut them. You will end up ruining your brand-new silicon mat.
Okay, that last one might have been more of a vent than a tip!
Is Lily’s Chocolate Keto Friendly and Trim Healthy Mama Friendly?
You may have guessed it by now, but these lovely and delicious bites were made with Lily’s Chocolate! You can also use Trim Healthy Mama chocolate products, but Lily’s are more readily available in stores to purchase. Both Lily’s baking chips and bars were used for this recipe. You can use a combination of either or both depending on the flavor you are aiming for.
Lily’s Chocolate is on plan in the Trim Healthy Mama world and certainly Keto friendly. Unfortunately, they do use dextrin in their bars, which is less than ideal for THM. If you are planning to eat a bar, 2 short rows are recommended in an S setting.
How many Espresso Beans can I Eat?
There is such thing as too much caffeine, and since we are using chocolate that contains dextrin, I don’t recommend going wild on these. If you cut these into 1-inch bars, you should be able to 2-3 to stay in an S setting on THM. This will also keep you from having too much caffeine.
Did you know that espresso beans have less caffeine than coffee beans?! This is because they are roasted longer than coffee beans. Fun facts!
What Ingredients do you Need for Chocolate Espresso Beans?
All of the ingredients used in this recipe are readily available from your local grocery store! You might have to do a little exploring to find Lily’s, but the good news is that they are becoming more widespread throughout the country. You shouldn’t have to look far!
- 1 cup espresso beans
- 1 cup Lily’s White Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp butterscotch flavoring
How to Make these Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
Instead of creating individual chocolate espresso beans, we are going to create them into bars! This is a perfect way to have the desired taste of individual chocolate-covered espresso beans, without all the fuss!
Lily’s has an entire line of chocolate, so you can vary the chocolate used according to what flavors your like.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the white chocolate on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe bowl.
- If you microwave, heat in increments of 15 seconds until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Gently stir in your butterscotch flavoring.
- Combine the espresso beans and the white chocolate. Stir together.
- Layer on the parchment paper thinly.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips with 1 tsp of coconut oil.
- Drizzle on top of white chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour until set and cut into squares.
Do I Need to Add the Butterscotch Flavoring?
No, you certainly do not. However, adding the flavoring really does take it to the next level! You don’t even have to use butterscotch! You can use caramel, vanilla, butter, pumpkin, or any number of flavors to add your own unique touch! Use your imagination! I personally love Trim Healthy Mama’s flavorings, they are simply top-notch!
Other Chocolate Recipes from Healing Home
Do you enjoy sugar-free chocolate recipes! Good news, I’ve got oodles of them for you to dive into! Try these for your chocolate fix!
You can also catch me over on Instagram where I’m always sharing my favorite recipes and Trim Healthy Mama tricks and tips!