Welcome to one of the simplest chili pies I have ever made! Mix it up. Pour it into a cast-iron skillet. Bake, and enjoy! It's that simple!
Cast iron cooking has become one of my favorite ways to make a meal. There are a couple of tricks to using a cast iron pan, but once you've got the tips and tricks down, it is an easy way to cook on a stovetop or bake in an oven.
This page may contain affiliate links. To view my full affiliate link disclosure, click here.
Cast Iron Cooking
Did you know that you can do more than just place a cast iron skillet on a stovetop? It was an embarrassing amount of time before I ever realized it! You can 100% use it in oven recipes as well.
This chili pie recipe is completely Trim Healthy Mama friendly. It does use one can of beans in the recipe, but it should not be a substantial enough amount to pull yourself out of an S (or fat-based) mode.
For this recipe, you will want to have a giant cast-iron skillet. Think about the biggest one that you have. This recipe will feed 6-8 people and you will need to have a large enough skillet to hold all the contents. If you have smaller cast iron skillets, you could divide the recipe up into pans if necessary.
All my favorite cast iron cooking essentials can be found in my Amazon storefront! You certainly do not have to buy an expensive cast iron skillet if you are new to cast iron. This article goes into detail about some of the best-cast iron skillets and many of them are not expensive at all!
Tips for Creating this Chili Pie
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when making this recipe for the first time.
- Get out your BIGGEST cast iron skillet!
- Make sure your okra is blended completely (no green specks)
- If you are living the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle you will want tomato sauce with no added sugar
- Preheat your skillet! This helps reduce pan stick.
- Use frozen okra, not fresh.
How to Make the Chili Pie
The list of ingredients is simple and the process is just about as simple.
Preheat the oven to 350
Brown ground beef. Drain grease.
Add onions, garlic, and chili powder. Cook for another 2 minutes
Put the tomato sauce, okra, and egg whites and blend until there are no specks of green left.
Add the tomato sauce mixture to the skillet and mixture together thoroughly.
Place in the oven for 40 minutes.
During the last 10 minutes remove from the oven and top with around 8 ounces of cheese or to your liking.
Ingredients for a Delicious Chili Pie
1-2 pounds of ground beef
1 diced onion
1 tbsp diced garlic
24 ounces no added sugar tomato sauce
1 ½ cups frozen okra
1 ½ cups egg whites
1 can of black beans or pinto beans
2 tbsp chili powder
Shredded cheese (varying amounts)
Other Cast Iron Skillet Recipes
There are many Healing Home recipes that use cast iron skillets. Here are a few of my favorites!
- 1-2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tbsp diced garlic
- 24 ounces no added sugar tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups frozen okra
- 1 ½ cups egg whites
- 1 can of black beans or pinto beans
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- Shredded cheese (varrying amounts)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Brown ground beef. Drain grease.
- Add onions, garlic, and chili powder. Cook for another 2 minutes
- Put the tomato sauce, okra, and egg whites and blend until there are no specks of green left.
- Add the tomato sauce mixture and beans to the skillet and mixture together thoroughly.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes remove from the oven and top with around 8 ounces of cheese or to your liking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.